Thursday 18 December 2008

A Youtube for All of Us - Oh, Really?

Nay, it’s Google’s. =P

Announcement of algorithmic demotion in Youtube has caused lots of voice in the community. Well, pretty negative though.

It happened on 2nd December 2008, an entry with a header “Youtube for All of Us” was written, showing a very positive intention that Youtube really wants to keep its community clean and healthy for everyone, however, maybe, in a wrong way. As quoted in the entry, “Demotion of sexually suggestive content and profanity - Videos that are considered sexually suggestive, or that contain profanity, will be algorithmically demoted ....” What?! Algorithmically?!... It may be relatively-easier to seek for sexually suggestive post automatically (well, maybe), yet I really don’t know how such in-human method can search for clues to proof for profanity… Yeah, I did once-upon-time hate people playing around with my nickname Dickson (I do believe in you that you are a good person, aren’t you?), but I think that I might need to start worrying if I use my “censored” name as an username on Youtube, or whatever post crediting my name will simply be demoted, algorithmically, by our lovely bots on Youtube, because of having something that Youtube doesn’t what to see. If so, then it’s really not that difficult to understand why so many Youtubers have posted numerous of videos with long *beep* sound and censored words. Really, I do understand their anger.

“Oh honey, be cool, Youtube isn’t really that bad, they are for Us, aren’t they?” True, especially when the Us means only Goolge. (And that’s why they can come up with those not-so-human-friendly complex automated demoting bots to handle such dirty task.)

A Chinese quote 成事在人, means “People is a matter of Successes”, well, correct, and so does failure.

The Web 2.0 generation is a internet generation that treats people in its highest priority. (as they DO matter). Although I am interested in how the algorithmic demotion functions (and implemented), I do also want to see the Blackout event on Youtube, hosted by Youtuber, started on 19th Dec (should be lasted for a few days, correctly me if I’m wrong). Participants will not enter Youtube for days (not even browse) and thus cases a shape drop on Youtube’s traffic-metter. You know, traffics mean LOTS of money on the net. Oh, that’s REALLY hurt.


Be understanding and concerning for your visitors, you may not need to create everything that they desire, but just be respectful, and you will still survive or even earn some pocket money for being yourself and having some uniqueness.


Cheers,
Dickson



P.S. You can now easily find those angry video on Youtube, or you may go to Youtube's blog for more details of the announcement.

No comments:

Post a Comment